One of the latest weight loss and fitness products to hit the scene is the Yoga Burn DVD. I honestly am always skeptical of anything which promises such great results and has so much hype behind it. But, I still tried to approach this Yoga Burn review with an open mind. Before you try Yoga Burn, read my real-life experience using the program.
What Is Yoga Burn?
Yoga Burn is a DVD collection of yoga classes. The cool thing about Yoga Burn is that you will get the digital download immediately and also get a physical DVD sent to your home address. Since a lot of people still prefer to watch DVDs in a player on their TV, this is a major plus over other yoga courses which don’t send you a physical product.
Buy Yoga Burn Here for the Best Price of $37
What Is In the Yoga Burn Courses?
The Yoga Burn DVD course is divided into three “phases.” Each Yoga Burn phase has 4 videos. However, since the first video in each phase is an introduction, there are really only 9 yoga workout videos total. The videos last 45 minutes each. You care encouraged to do 3 videos per week.
Each Yoga Burn phase is meant to last 4 weeks. You will be doing the videos from each phase throughout those 4 weeks.
Yoga Burn Phase 1: Foundational Flow
I know you are impatient to lose weight and shed fat – and some of that will happen during this first phase simply because you are moving a lot more. However, the Yoga Burn phase 1 is really about setting up your body for weight loss. You will learn a lot of basic moves that are crucial for losing weight with yoga.
Rather than quote all of the Yoga Burn claims, here are a few scientific studies and articles which show how doing yoga can improve your basal metabolic rate and digestion:
- Physiological Effects of Yogic Practices and Transcendental Meditation in Health and Disease: This study found that yoga provided benefits including improved cognition, respiration, reduced cardiovascular risk, body mass index, blood pressure, and diabetes. Yoga also influenced immunity and ameliorated joint disorders.
- Yoga and Metabolism: This article talks about how scientific evidence show that doing yoga improves circulation, metabolism, and energy expenditures for overall better health and weight maintenance.
- NPR article on yoga rewards: In this article, yoga expert William Broad talks about how certain types of yoga can increase metabolism. He also talks about how the psychological benefits of yoga (in regards to reducing stress) can prevent overeating.
After a month of doing Yoga Burn Phase 1 DVDs, you should feel these benefits:
- More flexibility
- More relaxation/less stress
- Better digestion
- More energy
If you have a lot of weight to lose, then you will also probably experience weight loss during this phase of Yoga Burn DVD. For people who are already trim though, the weight loss won’t be as evident. You’ll have to go onto the next phase of Yoga Burn to really notice any weight loss.
Yoga Burn Phase 2: Transitional Flow
Here is where things really get ramped up during the Yoga Burn DVD course. You get three more video courses which focus on yoga “transitional” moves.
Why are transitional yoga poses important?
According to vinyasa yoga teacher Jason Crandell, transitional yoga poses are those “between poses’ which build strength and balance. Using transitional yoga poses also means you can do an almost full course of yoga without stopping to get yourself into poses – which means more aerobic and more fat loss!
Don’t be mistaken – transitional yoga poses aren’t always easy! As said in Yoga Journal,
“Moving slowly through transitions is more demanding, mentally and physically. But if you always rely on momentum to take you to the next pose, you’ll never build the strength to stop using your momentum.”
After a month of doing Phase 2 of Yoga Burn, you should notice these benefits:
- Weight loss (amount depends on how much fat you had to lose in the first place)
- More toned muscles
- Less stress
- Better sleep
- More energy
Yoga Burn Phase 3: Mastery Flow
This phase of the Yoga Burn DVD series starts at 9 weeks. You will learn some new poses, but it is really the layout of the course which changes in this phase.
Instead of doing a series of different poses, you are going to do repetitions of yoga poses. The point of this is to really work out the muscle groups.
A cool thing about these phase of Yoga Burn is that the videos are divided into muscle groups. You can work out your core one day, your legs and bum the next, and upper body the next. You’ll have time for your body to recover. Alternatively, you can do all 3 videos in one day and take a break for a couple days.
Yes, your muscles are going to be sore after doing these videos for the first time! It’s awesome to feel muscles that you didn’t even know existed. 🙂
After completing Phase 3 of the Yoga Burn DVD, you should experience these benefits:
- Increases muscle tone
- More muscle = higher basal metabolic rate (BMR)
- Higher BMR = more passive weight loss
- Significant fat loss
Ready to get started? Buy Yoga Burn Here
Yoga Burn Video Sample
What Does Progressive Yoga Mean?
The Yoga Burn DVD uses what is called “progressive yoga.” The term was coined by yoga guru David Kyle but the concept has been around for a long time. It combines yoga methods of Raja yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga, and individual creativity.
In progressive yoga, you learn to go through the correct positioning of yoga in a sequential order to get the maximum strength benefits – but without competition (which goes against yoga’s basic principles).
Some of the benefits of progressive yoga are:
- Improved body composition
- Less chances of injury
- More endurance
- Better coordination
- Less physical stress on the body means better results
Who Is Zoe Bray Cotton?
The creator of Yoga Burn video course is Zoe Bray Cotton, a yoga instructor who lives in NYC. I honestly can’t find much information about her available, which leads me to believe that her name is a pseudonym. That’s actually pretty common in the world of online fitness videos though. In any case, she does a good job of leading the yoga DVD courses.
Who Is the Yoga Burn DVD For?
Yoga Burn DVD was made with complete beginners in mind. Though the website specifically targets women (and most Yoga Burn users are women), there is no reason why men can’t also benefit from Yoga Burn.
Who Is the Yoga Burn DVD NOT For?
If you already have experience with yoga, then Yoga Burn will likely be too easy for you. Also, if you don’t have the discipline to actually do the DVD yoga videos at least 2-3 times per week, then you won’t experience any of the weight loss or toning benefits.
What Makes Yoga Burn Different from Other Courses?
I want to be honest in this Yoga Burn review. So, I will straight-up say that there are plenty of online yoga courses you can buy. Some of those courses are actually really quite good. In fact, if you find that you like Yoga Burn, you might want to buy some other yoga DVDs so you can mix things up a bit.
However, there are some key differences that make Yoga Burn stand out from other DVD yoga courses:
- Aimed at beginners
- Requires no special equipment other than a yoga mat
- Uses methods to increase metabolism and burn fat
- Not as much focus on new-age concepts. It is about weight loss and not “connecting to the earth” and all that jazz! (though the bonus videos do focus on emotional wellbeing)
- Easy to follow
- Progressively-challenging videos (dynamic sequencing) means you don’t get bored
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Yoga Burn
I’m really sick of reading Yoga Burn reviews which basically say that you only need to do the videos occasionally and you’ll suddenly lose tons of fat.
Yes, you will lose weight and get tone by doing the Yoga Burn workouts — but you’ll need to make other changes if you want to maximize these benefits!
- Stay Hydrated: If you don’t stay hydrated, your cells will become stressed. This will negate all of the benefits you might have gained from doing Yoga Burn. Drink at least a ½ liter of water during the 45 minute workout videos.
- Eat Protein After Your Workout: With Yoga Burn, you ultimately want to increase your muscle mass so you can improve your metabolic rate. So, you will need to consume some protein. The easiest way to do this is to make a smoothie after your workout. Put a protein powder into it and you’ll be set.
- Prevent Post-Workout Pain: The pain you feel after a good workout is caused by inflammation. To prevent this, try adding an inflammation-fighting supplement like turmeric to your post-workout smoothie. Read the health benefits of turmeric here.
Buy Yoga Burn HERE to start getting the body you want!
Have you tried Yoga Burn? Let us know your review of Yoga Burn in the comments!