Mushrooms are one of the best superfoods and have numerous important health benefits, such as acting as an adaptogen, a vegan source of vitamin D, boosting immunity and helping gut health. When you can’t find fresh, mushroom powder supplements are a great way to get all of these benefits.
The earthy taste of mushroom poweder can be very overpowering if not paired with the right ingredients. In this drink recipe, the mushroom flavor is balanced out by the creaminess of the milk, the richness of the cacao, and kick from spices.
Feel free to experiment with different combinations and amounts of the flavors until you find the perfect balance for your taste. You can use any mushroom powder you want.
- 1 cup almond, coconut or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon mushroom powder (turkey tail*, reisha, chaga, shiitake, chaga, cordyceps, lion’s mane…)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or honey (more to taste)
Flavor Add-In Ideas
Choose as many of these as you want.
- 1 tsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp. turmeric + a pinch of black pepper**
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cashew butter or cocoa butter or coconut butter
- 1 tsp. ashwagandha powder, maca powder, or other superfood root
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Shot of coffee
- Matcha tea powder
- To serve hot: Warm the milk on the stove or with a steamer. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend. You can also use a wand mixer but the texture might not be as smooth.
- To serve cold: Put all ingredients in a blender. Pour over 3 or 4 ice cubes and stir before serving.
- Rinse your blender immediately. Or the cocoa will clump on the blades and make it a pain to clean later.
*Here are the benefits of turkey tail mushroom and my picks for best turkey tail powders.
**Read why you should always take black pepper with turmeric.