Turmeric is one of the healthiest superfoods in the world with health benefits that include fighting cancer, improving skin health, reducing inflammation, and aiding in heart health (read the health benefits of turmeric here).
Ready to get the health benefits of turmeric? This recipe includes not only turmeric, but other spices which are shown to boost immunity and fight inflammation. The red lentils are a great vegetarian source of protein and the coconut oil with its healthy fatty acids aids in increasing the bioavailability of turmeric.
Plus, it is warming and tasty! You can find cranberry chutney in Indian stores. If you don’t have any, then you can garnish the dish with dried cranberries instead or top with pomegranate seeds.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cordiander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 potato, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Dash of chili
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Cranberry chutney
- Soak the red lentils in water for at least 1 hour. Drain them and toss the soaking water.
- Heat the coconut oil and saute the onion
- Add the coriander and cumin
- Add the garlic, zucchini, potato, and remaining spices
- When zucchini have had a change to brown a bit (about 5-7 minutes), add the coconut milk
- Add just enough water to cover the veggies
- Cover and let it cook until the potato is cooked through
- Top with cranberry chutney when serving